Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sidewalk Days

Lately I have been spending a lot of time alone, an inhibiting trend that tends to occur in this paradoxical world where many people exist while no random conversations do (unless it's asking for money or handouts, of course). The time spent alone has manifested itself primarily in the form of long walks, which rightfully occur more as the temperatures rise. I find my emotional state to be driven by apparent paradoxes as well: I've been doing a lot of thinking about how events shape our mental states, and whether it is possible to feel nostalgic about a place and time that has never been programmed into our psyches.

This song has been the flint for my ears to strike upon to spark this strange feeling. I don't know Japanese, and that's okay because I think this song might not be the same for me if I did. All I know is that it is perfect for those sidewalk days – the days that are so heavy you feel like you might sink beneath the pavement; where people don't shine quite as brightly as the trees do, so you take comfort in knowing that there's always a conversation partner underneath your feet, reminding you to slow down the world. But, as the :47 second mark also reminds me, nothing can last indefinitely – at some point or another, that sad string will work its way in to interrupt the sought-after content feeling, but it's what we do with that unexpected interruption that truly matters.

Baibaba Bimba, Tenniscoats

2 comments:

  1. i really liked the song. thanks for sharing! is there an mp3 version of it you could send to me? it's the kind of song i want to have on repeat on those terrible depressing kinds of days i spend in bed & away from the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course – sorry I forgot to link to it! It really does help for those bedridden days.

    Here's the link, but I also edited the original post so you can get it from there, too!

    ReplyDelete